Slow Cooker Balsamic-Red Wine Pot Roast
- 4 large carrots
- 3 large shallots
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 boneless chuck roast(1 roast is 3-4 lb.)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (try Chocolate, Fig or Traditional)
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar(packed)
- 1 tablespoon beef base(jarred, such as Better than Bouillon)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme(3 inches each)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary(3 inches)
- 1 1/2tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- fresh thyme sprigs (for garnish)
- fresh rosemary sprigs (for garnish)
- Peel carrots, cut into 3-inch chunks, and cut large pieces in half again lengthwise.
- Peel shallots and cut in half through the root.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat (for best browning, do not use a nonstick pan).
- Sprinkle chuck roast with salt and pepper. Brown roast on both sides in hot oil, turning as needed, 6-8 minutes total.
- Transfer roast to a 6-qt. slow cooker. Top with carrots and shallots
- Pour red wine into hot frying pan used to brown roast. Scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet using a wooden spoon. Stir in the vinegar, brown sugar, beef base and tomato paste. Pour mixture over roast in slow cooker.
- Top roast and vegetables with fresh thyme and rosemary.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low setting until roast is tender when pierced with a fork, approximately 6 hours.
- Transfer roast from slow cooker to a cutting board and vegetables to a serving platter.
- Whisk together flour and cold water in a small saucepan. Measure 1 cup cooking liquid and strain into pan, whisking. Bring to a boil, whisking often. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, until gravy is thickened, 5 minutes.
- Slice meat and arrange on the platter with vegetables. Spoon gravy on top. Scatter fresh herbs over roast and vegetables.
Recipe adapted from yummly.com