Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes with Raspberry Balsamic Frosting
- 12oz can or bottle of Guinness
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Arbequina EVOO
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter (2 1/2 sticks of butter), softened
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons Raspberry Balsamic
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a small saucepan, add Guinness and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Continue to simmer until the beer reduces to 1/2 cup.
- Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, whisk to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the whisk attachment, place reduced Guinness, olive oil, sugar, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla, whisk until blended and smooth.
- Begin adding in the dry ingredients, a cup full at a time, until the batter is smooth and blended.
- Fill a muffin tin with decorative paper baking cups and fill 3/4 of the way full with batter.
- Bake cupcakes for 20-30 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove them from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Place butter in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, and beat or cream until smooth.
- Replace the paddle attachment with the whisk attachment (removing as much butter from the paddle as possible) and begin whisking in the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until combined.
- Add balsamic, vanilla, cocoa powder, and milk, and continue to whisk until fluffy and smooth.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, top with frosting (either spreading or piping the frosting on top of the cupcakes).