- 1/3 cup Adoro unflavoured extra virgin olive oil (or try blood orange for a tangy orange flavour)
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 2/3 cup milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons almond extract
- ½ cup ground almonds (almond meal)
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces white chocolate or milk chocolate
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons milk
- toasted slivered almonds or candied orange rinds, to decorate
Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a cupcake pan or line with 10 paper liners
2) Place the oil, yogurt, milk, sugar, almond extract, and ground almonds in a large mixing bowl. Sift in the flour, baking powder, and salt, then beat with an electric hand held mixture until the batter is well combined.
3) Divide the batter among the cups of the prepared cupcake pan and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until well risen and golden. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack and let cool completely before icing.
4) To make the icing, melt the chocolate in a double boiler or a large heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar and milk and spread the icing over the cupcakes with a teaspoon while the icing is still a little warm and easy to spread. Top each cupcake with a few toasted slivered almonds.